Monday, November 19, 2007

week 10 post 23

Most of the programs were new to me. Obviously none of the information was necessary to do my job. Maybe after retirement when I have more free time I might use them. It took lots of staff time on workroom computers to listen to the videos and watch the programs, let alone do the discovery activities. It was difficult to get computer time to do my job. I much prefer the seminar training at Reliant Center which offers time to visit other branch staff, look at displays (and pickup goodies) and enjoy free refreshments and lunch.
The wave of the future in libraries (media centers) is technology. HCPL already has implemented some advancements. But more will show up I'm sure such as self-check-in machines and ILL searching and requests done by the public. Although the public will want help employees may be technology trained. Processing holds and mail may not require fulltime library oriented employees. Libraries seem to be "show me once" and then I'll do it myself. I think most people still want human contact. Technology has its place in libraries, but it should be limited.

No comments: